Pointe-Claire has a mayor and eight councillors. A person may apply for only one City Council position.
To be eligible, on September 1, 2021, the person must have the right to be entered on the list of electors of the City of Pointe-Claire and must have resided within this territory continuously or otherwise for at least the last 12 months.
Candidates can join together in authorized parties. An electoral party must first be recognized by Élections Québec. All independent candidates must obtain the prior authorization of the election president.
Official representative and official agent
Independent candidates and their representative or agent are required to attend training on the rules surrounding political financing and election expenses given by Élections Québec. For more information, click here.
The role of the representative or agent is to:
- Collect and deposit contributions
- Make sure receipts are given to donors
- Contract loans
- File financial reports
- Incur or authorize election expenses
- Authorize an advertising agency to incur or order election expenses
- Make sure that any advertising contains his or her name and title as official agent
- Make sure the election expense limit is not exceeded
- File the election expense return
To meet the requirements of the Act Respecting Elections and Referendums in Municipalities, in October 2020 Pointe-Claire City Council adopted the By-law dividing the territory of the City of Pointe-Claire in municipal electoral districts.
The objective of this by-law is to comply with the parameters of the Act that stipulate that the number of electors in a district must not be more than 15% above or below the quotient obtained by dividing the total number of electors in the municipality by the number of districts.
Changes to the City of Pointe-Claire electoral district map will affect District 4 – Cedar Park Heights and District 6 – Seigniory.
To know your municipal district, use this tool: Search by adress
To see the new district map: Interactive map
Any person entered on the list of electors may vote. It is everyone’s responsibility to make sure their name is on the list, which can be verified at www.electionsquebec.qc.ca. In early October, you will receive by mail a notice indicating the name of each person entered on the list at your address. If your name does not appear on the list, you will have to appear before the Board of Revisers to have it entered.
To appear on the list of electors, you must meet the following conditions:
- You are 18 years old or older as of the polling day
- On September 1, 2021:
- You are a natural person and a Canadian citizen.
- You are not in the one of the situations leading to disqualification under the law.
- You meet one of the following conditions:
- You have been domiciled in Pointe-Claire, and in Quebec, for at least 6 months;
- You have been, for at least 12 months, the owner of an immovable or the occupant of a business establishment in Pointe-Claire;
- You are a joint co-owner of an immovable or co-occupant of a business establishment in Pointe-Claire.
Being registered on the list of electors at the address of your domicile is mandatory if you wish to vote and it is your responsibility to verify that your name is entered on the list and that all of your personal information is correct. You can check your entry online.
If your name is not on the list of electors, please contact Élections Québec.
During the election period, make sure that your name is written on the notice that you will receive in the mail on or around October 14. If it is not, you must go to the board of revisors at the location indicated on the notice to enter your name or to modify the entry.
Board of revisors of the list of electors
The City’s board of revisors of the list of electors will sit in the Council Chamber at City Hall (451 Saint-Jean Boulevard) on the dates and at the times indicated here:
- Monday, October 18, 2021, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 19, 2021, from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. and from 7 to 10 p.m.
- Thursday, October 21, 2021, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Applications for entry, correction or deletion can be submitted to this board.
The deadline for applications for deletion is October 18, at 5:30 p.m.
Would you like to help ensure the smooth running of the municipal election on November 7? The returning officer of the City of Pointe-Claire is seeking individuals interested in working on the board of revisors, in advance polling, at the office of the returning officer and by mail, as well as on the holding of the poll.
Anyone who is responsible, reliable and enjoys working with the public is invited to apply. Students and retirees are welcome. There are over 200 positions to be filled.
Anyone interested is invited to learn more about the positions offered, schedules and the salary scale before filling out the recruitment form and returning it in person at the counter of the Legal Affairs and City Clerk’s Office (451 Saint-Jean Boulevard). The counter is open Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to noon and 12:45 to 4:30 p.m., and on Friday, 8 a.m. to noon.
Forms are also available on site.
Only selected candidates will be contacted.