Pointe-Claire Public Library wins 2019 TD Summer Reading Club Library Award
The Pointe-Claire Public Library is proud to have received first prize in the French-language category from the 2019 TD Summer Reading Club Library Awards for all of the activities organized in the summer of 2019.
In addition to the reading challenges taken up by young people and their families, the activities offered by the library were recognized for their quality, originality and diversity:
- Riding a bike decked out in City colours, the Reading Squad criss-crossed the streets, stopping at parks and pools.
- A reading tent provided a cool spot and an escape for book lovers.
- The Squad issued positive “reading tickets” to those who read in parks or at pools. These tickets were used to participate in draws at the reading party held at the end of the summer.
- A nature hunt gave curious minds the opportunity to discover nature in Pointe-Claire with their family and use their imagination to make up a story based on their discoveries.
- Bookmarks were distributed during classroom visits.
- With the Family Challenge, children and adults were invited to read and promote reading within their family.
- The reading party was an opportunity to reward the greatest efforts.
These various initiatives organized by the Library to promote reading and invite young people to sign up for and participate in the Club resulted in significant increases over the previous year:
- Number of children enrolled: 549, a 12.2% increase and 285 first-time registrations
- Number of activities or events organized: 157
- Number of children who participated in activities and events: 1,958
- Number of hours of reading: 11,683, a 45% increase
- Number of hours of family reading: 15,970 hours, a 41% increase
This prize is accompanied by a check for $8,000 which will be used to purchase material for the Kids’ section.
Since 2007, the Library Awards have recognized the most innovative and effective Club programs implemented in public libraries across the country, in both French and English.
The TD Summer Reading Club is a collaborative project between Library and Archives Canada, the Toronto Public Library and the TD Bank Group.