Permits for business
Make sure you know the applicable planning by-laws for the type of work you are doing.
Information on current tax rates and bills can be found on the Taxes page.
Here’s how to apply:
1. You submitt a request for a building permit or certificate of authorization
- Download and complete the Building Permit / Certificate of Authorization Request Form and any additional forms, as required.
- In some cases, a Lettre of Authorization or a Déclaration de travaux (Declaration of Work, available in French only) may be required.
- Email your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org along with all other documents required to process the application.
Files should be in the following formats:
|Plans, authorization letters, location certificates, etc.|
|Images and photos||JPEG|
To ensure effective follow-up, please include the street address and the reason for the request in the subject line of your email.
2. You receive confirmation and make payment
You will receive an email that will either confirm that your application is complete or tell you that some documents are missing or incomplete.
Once your application is complete, it will be assigned a file number and you will be required to pay a processing fee. You can do this in person at the tax counter, located on the ground floor of City Hall, or by calling the Tax Department at 514-630-1300, extension 1830.
3. Your request if analyzed
Analysis of your application will begin once you have paid the required fee. This applies to individuals as well as developers. Additional documents may be required as the analysis is carried out, and there may also be additional fees to be paid (damage deposit, connection fee, curb cut fee, etc.). Once the analysis is complete, the Planning Department will inform you whether your application has been approved or denied. If it is approved, a permit or certificate will be issued.