The City of Pointe-Claire Social Media Policy provides a framework for the City’s social media practices, interactions with the community and sharing of information, and aims to ensure that these occur in a courteous and respectful manner.
Follow us and stay informed!
The City of Pointe-Claire’s social media accounts are forums for dialogue and information sharing. We encourage you to participate in the various discussions while following our netiquette.
Rules for use
To ensure a courteous environment, certain rules of conduct are essential:
- Use respectful language and tone in comments and questions.
- Do not make any offensive, defamatory, malicious, threatening, aggressive or discriminatory statements, whether in the form of words, images, emoticons or emojis.
- Respect privacy by not posting or mentioning confidential information, such as personal information.
- No solicitation whatsoever is permitted, nor are repeated comments.
- Do not promote or discredit a political party, its representatives, a pressure group, or the authorities of the City of Pointe-Claire.
- Messages must comply with the law and must not suggest or encourage illegal activities.
- The information posted must be accurate, truthful and compliant.
- Subscribers may share hyperlinks in their comments as long as the content relates to the subjects in question.
- Discussions must take place in the two official languages, either in French or in English.
Moderation, questions and comments
To ensure subscribers have access to a constructive, respectful and open forum for dialogue, the City of Pointe-Claire moderates all comments created and shared on its page. Comments made by users are theirs alone and are in no way endorsed by the City of Pointe-Claire.
Only questions and comments that follow the City’s netiquette will be considered for response. Public or personal responses will be given, depending on their nature.
If comments do not follow the netiquette, the City may intervene to ensure that the rules of conduct are followed. We reserve the right to remove any inappropriate comments that do not follow the netiquette or social media rules. Depending on the statements posted and in the event of repeated non-compliance, the City could temporarily or permanently ban a subscriber from its page.
Depending on the nature of the comments, the City may be obligated to report the information to the competent authorities.
This page is hosted from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. From May to October, it is hosted from Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Friday, 8 a.m. to noon.
Social media is managed during office hours. Comments and questions sent outside of opening hours will be handled as soon as possible on the following business days.
Depending on the questions submitted, verifications may be required. We will make sure to get back to you as soon as possible with valid, verified information.
In accordance with the City’s bilingual status, messages will be shared in both official languages.
Comments by Internet users may be written in either official language and will be answered by the City in the same language.
The City of Pointe-Claire is bound by the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information, which guarantees the protection of personal information
Any person who provides personal information in comments posted publically will be invited to do so in a private message. The City of Pointe-Claire will hide the comment to protect personal information.
Complaints and requests
The City of Pointe-Claire reserves the right to modify this policy without prior notice.