Provincial rebate for purchasing an electric or hybrid vehicle
The City has made commitments in the past year in order to adapt to climate change. One of the factors accelerating climate change is the consumption of fossil fuels, such as gas for our vehicles, namely through greenhouse gas emissions (CO2). To reduce this source of pollution, electric vehicles will be used beginning in 2017 to replace certain gas-powered vehicles in the municipal fleet.
What are the advantages of using an electric vehicle?
1. Protecting our environment
Electric vehicles emit no greenhouse gas, which limits our ecological footprint and promotes a more sustainable environment for everyone. For reference, a family that uses a gas-powered vehicle on a daily basis emits on average 4.7 tonnes of CO2 per year.
The cost of electricity to power an electric car for 15,000 kilometres per year is about $250. To cover the same distance, a gas-powered car costs $1,000, meaning it is four times more expensive.
3. Purchase rebates
The Government of Québec also offers rebates for purchasing an electric or hybrid vehicle. See below for details:
|Type of vehicle||Amount of rebate 1|
|Rechargeable hybrid vehicle*||$500, $4,000 or $8,000
depending on the battery’s capacity
|Low-speed electric vehicle*||$1,000|
1 According to “The Drive Electric Program offers a purchase/lease rebate for individuals, non-profits and businesses; who want to acquire an all-electric, plug-in hybrid, hybrid or low-speed electric vehicle”. More information- Here
* The vehicle must appear on the list of eligible vehicles. To view the list, go to http://vehiculeselectriques.gouv.qc.ca/english/rabais.asp
The program will remain in effect until December 31, 2020, or until all the funds have been distributed.
- Government of Québec- Transportation Electrification Action Plan; Seen on 15th Jan 2015; http://vehiculeselectriques.gouv.qc.ca/english/
- Québec has a long road ahead to reach goal of 100,000 electric cars by 2020 , Seen on 7th Sept 2016; http://montrealgazette.com/business/local-business/quebec-has-a-long-road-ahead-to-reach-goal-of-100000-electric-cars-by-2020
- Government of Québec- Climate Change action plan; Seen on 18th Aug 2015 http://www.mddelcc.gouv.qc.ca/changements/plan_action/pacc2020-en.pdf