Public consultation by the Ministère to define and regulate flood zones
The ministère des Affaires municipales et de l’Habitation (MAMH) will be hosting public consultation assemblies concerning the draft order aiming to declare special planning zones (SPZ) in order to define and regulate areas where flooding is a concern.
The City of Pointe-Claire is among the municipalities covered by this order.
For Montréal citizens, the meeting will take place at 7 p.m. on July 4, at the Holiday Inn Suites Pointe-Claire Montréal Airport (Champagne room), located at 6700 Trans Canada in Pointe-Claire.
You can also send your comments or records in writing to email@example.com, until July 4, 2019.
Information from the ministère des Affaires municipales et de l’Habitation
(translation from the City of Pointe-Claire)
Objectives of the draft order:
- Ensure the safety of people and property
- Ensure the sound management of flood zones
- Impose a moratorium for the construction and reconstruction of buildings located on the territories covered by the SPZ, until the development of a new normative framework by the government and its application by the municipalities
- Ensure the standardized application of the Politique de protection des rives, du littoral et des plaines inondables for the entire territory that had been damaged by the floods.
However, from the adoption of the SPZ draft order, the Act respecting land use planning and development sets out a prohibition to build, rebuild or repair a building in the sectors affected. However, some exceptions may be authorized. In this sense, an order has been adopted in order to authorize some repairs to buildings affected by the 2019 floods.
To find out more, please consult the following documents:
- Projet de décret concernant la déclaration d’une zone d’intervention spéciale afin de favoriser une meilleure gestion des zones inondables et Décret concernant la soustraction du territoire visé au projet de décret concernant la déclaration d’une zone d’intervention spéciale afin de favoriser une meilleure gestion des zones inondables à certaines prohibitions consécutives à la publication de ce projet de décret;
- Explanatory document freeze – A special planning zone to promote better management of flood zones;
- Spring flooding 2019 – Proposed implementation of a special planning zone (SPZ);
- Questions and answers – Draft Order to establish a special planning zone in the wake of flooding in the spring of 2019;
- Liste des 813 municipalités visées par la zone d’intervention spéciale.
The Government of Québec would like to hear from people and organizations who want to comment on the draft order during the public consultation assemblies on July 4, 2019. Moreover, records or comments can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, until July 4, 2019.
To learn whether you are concerned by this, consult the list of municipalities covered or the boundaries of the special planning zone perimeter for the flood zones in 2017 or 2019 (in French) of the Ministère de l’Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques.